Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act
Monday, July 13, 2015
July 26, 2015 marks the 25th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Celebrations of the signing of the ADA by President George H.W. Bush on July 26, 1990 are taking place across the nation.
The ADA and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) give civil rights protections to individuals with disabilities similar to those provided to individuals on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, and religion. The ADA and ADAAA also assure equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities for access to businesses, employment, transportation, state and local government programs and services, and telecommunications.
Below is a list of events and resources you can use to celebrate.
25th Anniversary Events in Florida
- July 18, Tampa – ADA 25th Anniversary Disability Awareness Expo, Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI), 4801 East Fowler Avenue, Tampa, FL. For information call 813-987-6000
- July 22, Daytona Beach – Flagler/Volusia Counties Celebration
- July 23, Gainesville – ADA Expo Celebration, Alachua County Senior Recreation Center, 5701 NW 34th Street Alachua County Senior Recreation Center, Gainesville FL 32653. For information call 352-374-5275
- July 24, Tallahassee – Ability1st ADA Event
- July 24, Tallahassee – Family Café Movie Night
- July 26, Largo – Disability Achievement Center Celebration Movie Screening. For information, contact Jody at (727) 539-7550 x238 or email@example.com
- July 29, Pensacola – Annual ADA Awards and Volunteer Recognition Luncheon & Lacey A. Collier Sensory Complex Tours from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm at the Escambia Westgate School in Pensacola. For more information, individuals can call Danny Broxson at 850-595-5566 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- July 30, West Palm Beach – CILO’s 25th Anniversary and the 25th Anniversary of the ADA
The following resources contain links, videos, snippets, social media idea, press kits and more that you can use to promote and celebrate the ADA’s 25th anniversary milestone.
- ADA National Network
- ADA Legacy Project
- Disability.gov Social Media Toolkit
Tags for this Postaccessibility, americans with disabilities act, equality, event,
- 22nd Anniversary of Americans with Disabilities Act - June 26, 2012 - 3 tag match(es) (75%)
- The National Down Syndrome Society and Disability Rights Florida Say #LetGarrettFight - 3 tag match(es) (75%)
- Voting - Advocating for Our Rights - 2 tag match(es) (50%)
- Train Week - How Accessible is Amtrak in Florida? - 2 tag match(es) (50%)
- Disability Rights Florida Launches “Access The Vote” Campaign - 2 tag match(es) (50%)