Disability Rights Florida Saddened by Loss of Former Board Member Milton Aponte
Wednesday, April 04, 2018
The Board of Directors and staff of Disability Rights Florida are saddened by the loss of our former Board member and colleague, Milton Aponte, Esq., who passed away early on Easter morning. Milton served on the Board of Directors of Disability Rights Florida (previously the Advocacy Center for Persons with Disabilities) from 2000 to 2004. He was appointed to the National Council on Disability by President George W. Bush in May of 2004 and subsequently reappointed in 2006 and served on the Council with great distinction until 2008. Milton Aponte was Assistant District Counsel United States Immigration and Naturalization Service and served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida. Following his career in government service, Milton opened his own law firm specializing in immigration law.
Milton was a determined advocate working to improve the lives of people with disabilities. Milton’s steadfast advocacy, along with that of his wife Berthy De La Rosa-Aponte, had significant local, state and national impact in the areas Consumer-Directed Health Care, Special Education, voting rights and employment for people with disabilities. Milton was a gentle, loving and caring man who treated everyone with dignity and respect.
Milton was a devoted and loving husband and father. He is survived by his wife Berthy De La Rosa-Aponte and his children Luz Elena Aponte, Milton Aponte Jr. and Diana E. Aponte-Rueda.
Tags for this Postboard of directors,
- Peter Schoemann Appointed as Chair of the Disability Rights Florida’s Board of Directors - 1 tag match(es) (100%)
- New Name. Same Protection and Advocacy. - 1 tag match(es) (100%)
- Beth Piecora Elected Chair of Disability Rights Florida’s Board of Directors - 1 tag match(es) (100%)
- Maryellen McDonald Appointed Interim Executive Director - 1 tag match(es) (100%)
- Board of Directors Names Maryellen McDonald as Executive Director - 1 tag match(es) (100%)