October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month
Monday, October 05, 2015
October 2015 marks the 70th Anniversary of National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM). Celebrated each October, NDEAM educates and raises awareness of disability employment issues. NDEAM is also a time to celebrate the accomplishments and contributions of workers with disabilities.
In 1945 Congress declared the first week in October, “National Employ the Physically Handicapped Week." Since, Congress has altered the name to include individuals with all types of disabilities and expanded the week-long event to the awareness month we have today.
The 2015 theme is "My disability is one part of who I am." Jennifer Sheehy, assistant secretary of labor for disability employment policy states, "This year's theme encapsulates the important message that people with disabilities are just that — people."
Below is a list of resources to help celebrate and get involved.
The “Who I Am” PSA features nine individuals who refuse to let their disabilities define them.
Disability employment awareness doesn’t have to end in October! “What Can You Do” is the national campaign for disability employment. Their website is full of resources for individuals with disabilities as well as employers, friends, and family.
Looking for more ways to celebrate NDEAM? Take a look at the 31 Days of NDEAM Slideshow for daily ideas and tips on ways YOU and your workplace can get involved.
On October 22, 2015 ARC Broward is hosting the Dispelling Myths and Making Disabilities Work for You Educational Seminar & Job Fair to educate employers on making their workplaces welcoming for everyone, including individuals with disabilities.
Tags for this Postemployment, event,
- The New Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act - 1 tag match(es) (50%)
- Fifth Annual Behavioral Health Day at the Capitol on March 9 - 1 tag match(es) (50%)
- Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act - 1 tag match(es) (50%)
- Developmental Disabilities Awareness Day on March 23 - 1 tag match(es) (50%)
- Maryellen McDonald Receives Stetson College of Law’s William Reece Smith Jr. Public Service Award - 1 tag match(es) (50%)