New Video: Housing Accommodations Explained
Thursday, August 22, 2019
Home is where you should feel safe and comfortable. Having reasonable housing accommodations can make your home work with you, not against you. Such accommodations are changes to the standard rules and procedures of a rental agreement, condo association bylaws, homeowner’s association bylaws, etc… to support your mobility and experience living in the home. An accommodation can mean having a closer parking space to your condo, a lower mailbox, and having your service animal in your apartment, even if pets aren’t typically allowed. These options are protected by the Fair Housing Law, which allows people with disabilities to alter their housing to make it more accessible for them.
Nonetheless, access to housing and accommodations isn’t universal for people with disabilities. People with disabilities are often put at a disproportionate disadvantage during crises, such as the Affordable Housing Crisis and hurricane disaster recovery (discussed in our legislative episode of our Podcast YouFirst). Even when there isn’t a disaster afoot, people with disabilities often face social and economic barriers, making housing unattainable. People end up living in environments that are not accessible, and are therefore, unsafe. It is imperative that we continue to advocate for inclusive and accessible housing for people with disabilities so that they feel safe and confident in their day to day lives.
In partnership with Rooted in Rights, we present a video explaining what reasonable housing accommodations are, how to advocate for yourself with landlords, and the rights you have as people with disabilities to live independently.
For more information, support, and more, contact Disability Rights Florida.
Rooted in Rights is a media project designed to tell candid and accessible stories that support the ever-evolving understanding of disability, mental health, and chronic illness.
Tags for this Postaccommodations, advocacy, housing, video,
- Do You Have Concerns about the Driver’s License Medical Review Process? - 1 tag match(es) (25%)
- Children: Medicaid, CMS and Managed Care Delays, Denials, and Confusion about Covered Services - 1 tag match(es) (25%)
- Disability Advocates Pursue Action Against Jacksonville Zoning Restrictions - 1 tag match(es) (25%)
- Disability Rights Florida Files Federal Lawsuit Against Three Beach Apartment Complexes - 1 tag match(es) (25%)
- Disability Rights Florida Supports Affordable Housing - 1 tag match(es) (25%)