Goals, Priorities & Objectives 2019
Goal 1: Eliminate barriers to inclusion by increasing access to opportunities and independence for persons with disabilities.
Priority 1: Improve the transition to independence process for individuals with disabilities of all ages.
- Objective 1: Students who are negotiating the transition process from secondary education to post-secondary education or employment will have supports and services to ensure successful outcomes.
- Objective 2: Individuals with disabilities receiving benefits will not be penalized for obtaining competitive employment.
- Objective 3: Individuals with disabilities shall have access to long-term care programs that encourage individual choice and supported decision-making throughout life.
Priority 2: Improve access to safe, affordable integrated housing in inclusive communities.
- Objective 1: Residents across disabilities in congregate housing facilities shall have equal access to employment and educational opportunities available in the community.
- Objective 2: Individuals across disabilities will have access to a variety of inclusive residential options within their chosen community.
- Objective 3: Encourage development of appropriate and accessible services, including transportation, recreation, and emergency shelters that support inclusion within fully integrated communities.
Priority 3: Advocate for free and appropriate educational opportunities.
- Objective 1: Students entitled to reasonable accommodations, supports, and related services will have access to education in the least restrictive educational environment.
- Objective 2: Investigate denials of free and appropriate public education (FAPE) in the least restrictive environment, including inappropriate discipline and review of increased use of Baker Act in schools, and implement appropriate strategies to protect this educational entitlement.
Priority 4: Identify and address abuse, neglect and rights violations in facilities using appropriate available strategies.
- Objective 1: Respond to complaints of rights violations in facilities using authorized protection and advocacy system tools.
- Objective 2: Investigate complaints of abuse or neglect, including restraint or seclusion of adults in congregate community placements or public and private facilities, including forensic programs, jails, prisons, and detention centers or other institution-like settings.
- Objective 3: Investigate complaints of abuse or neglect, including restraint or seclusion of youth in congregate community places, or public and private facilities, including forensic programs, detention facilities, jails, prisons or other institution-like settings.
Priority 5: Challenge barriers to equal opportunity and autonomy.
- Objective 1: Maximize successful employment outcomes through education and advocacy for individuals eligible for career programs.
- Objective 2: Promote full participation in the electoral process for individuals with disabilities to include educating candidates on campaign accessibility and encouraging exercise of constitutional rights.
- Objective 3: Ensure individuals with disabilities have equal access to places, programs and services.
- Objective 4: Promote independence through alternatives to guardianship, such as supported decision-making.
Goal 2: Provide leadership on disability issues through education, communication and collaboration.
Priority 1: Educate policymakers through in-depth communication across mediums on issues of importance.
- Objective 1: Research, monitor and analyze data and communicate results through professional reports directed at legislative and executive officials at the state and local levels.
- Objective 2: Monitor state and national legislation as well as administrative reform and be prepared to encourage bi-partisan discussion on impact to individuals with disabilities.
Priority 2: Increase public engagement and dialogue through training and distribution of relevant resource material.
- Objective 1: Individuals with psychiatric disabilities and families of students with psychiatric disabilities shall receive improved information and referral to better understand available programs and services.
- Objective 2: Highlight through information and referral and outreach and social media the scope of services and resources available to individuals with disabilities.
- Objective 3: Provide education and peer to peer recovery and support to students and administrative staff in the school regardless of disability.
Priority 3: Collaborate with state and local disability advocates to identify and resolve issues that decrease community integration and independence.
- Objective 1: Continue to partner with public and private organizations committed to increasing access to opportunities for individuals with disabilities.
- Objective 2: Improve communication paths to better identify systemic issues from individual service requests.
- Objective 3: Adult and juvenile ex-offenders stall have access to community reentry programs regardless of disability.