2018 Annual Report
You can download a digital copy of our annual report, visit links referenced in the report, and access other publications available from Disability Rights Florida below.
Download the Report
- 2018 Annual Report - PDF (original layout)
- 2018 Annual Report - Rich Text Format (more accessible layout)
Disability Rights Florida - In the News
Links will open in a new tab or window
- On the subject of abuse at Carlton Palms Educational Center: “The report, released Monday by the group Disability Rights Florida, cited video footage at the for-profit Carlton Palms Educational Center that shows a staff member slapping a resident, documented instances of residents being restrained for hours for no apparent reason and highlighted differing accounts by a staff member after a resident suffered a black eye. ‘There’s a certain culture there that either permits or doesn’t acknowledge inaccurate reporting.’” - Carlton Palms facility for mentally disabled makes misleading reports, group charges, Orlando Sentinel, March 6, 2018
- On the subject of the shooter at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High in Parkland: “What they did was move the problem to another setting. I hear a lot, ‘We offered help. He chose not take it.’ You know he needs services. You have to work at motivating him. You need to do everything you can to help him. Sending him to a course recovery program is not doing everything you can.” - Schools could have done more for shooter Nikolas Cruz, experts say, SunSentinel, March 4, 2018
- On the subject of banning plastic straws: “Blanket campaigns and laws can have unintended negative effects on individuals with disabilities. Having plastic straws available is not a convenience, it is a necessity for many individuals with disabilities. … Disability Rights Florida would be in support of ecofriendly alternatives but until this is feasible we would encourage businesses to make plastic straws available upon request, no questions asked.” - Straw bans: Good for environmentalists. Bad for people with disabilities?, WTSP 10 News, August 11, 2018
We updated our voting website in 2018. Visit www.AccessTheVote.org to get ready for 2020.
Disability Rights Florida is a non-profit organization funded by a variety of sources. For a complete list of funders, visit our Programs and Funders page.