Title I - Employment
Your Rights as an Employee with a Disability
Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 prohibits discrimination in the workplace. Title I has been designed to address and remove barriers to employment so individuals with disabilities can enjoy the same employment opportunities as people without disabilities.
A qualified individual with a disability has a right to engage in America’s workforce free of discrimination by businesses with 15 or more employees.
For additional information on the ADA and reasonable accommodations, visit these websites:
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
Job Accommodation Network (JAN)
The U.S. Department of Justice ADA Technical Assistance Program
The Able Trust
1-888-838- ABLE (toll-free in Florida)
(850) 224-4493 (voice or TDD)
The Florida Alliance for Assistive Services and Technology (FAAST)
(850) 487-3278 (voice)
(850) 922-5951 (TDD)
Looking for a Job?
Contact these resources for further assistance:
- EmployFlorida is a network of workforce services, resources, and job openings from over 100 One-Stop Centers in Florida. Call them toll free at 1-866-352-2345 or visit http://www.employflorida.net
- The Employer Assistance & Recruiting Network (EARN) has a database of jobs from companies interested in hiring qualified individuals with a disability. Contact them at 1-866-327-6669 or visit http://www.earnworks.com
- The Able Trust is a non-profit public/private partnership whose goal is to help Floridians with disabilities in achieving employment. Contact them at 1-888-838-ABLE (toll-free in Florida) / (850) 224-4493 (voice or TDD) http://www.abletrust.org/links/ada.shtml
- The Chamber of Commerce for Persons with Disabilities, Inc., mission is to help persons with disabilities and their direct caregivers to form and grow businesses. Visit them at http://disabilitychamber.org
For additional information about other workplace issues, such as unemployment compensation, worker’s compensation, wage and hour laws, and the Family Medical Leave Act, you can contact the phone numbers/websites below.
- For Unemployment Compensation contact the Agency For Workforce Innovation at 1-800-204-2418 or http://www.fluidnow.com or http://www.floridajobs.org
- For Workers’ Compensation contact the Division of Workers’ Compensation at 1-800-342-1741 or http://www.fldfs.com/wc/
- For Wage & Hour Laws and the Family Medical Leave Act contact the U.S. Department of Labor National Call Center at 1-866-487-2365 or http://www.dol.gov
- To apply for Social Security Disability Benefits contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 or http://www.socialsecurity.gov