Voter Registration

Next Topic: Ways to Vote

In order to vote in an upcoming election, you must be registered no later than 29 days before the election. Your registration date is the date that your application is postmarked or hand-delivered to the office of any Supervisor of Elections, the Division of Elections, a driver’s license office or other voter registration agency.

How to Register

To register to vote, you must fill out, sign, and submit the voter registration application. You can register to vote by mail on in person.

If you register by mail and it is your first time registering, you must provide a current and valid Florida driver’s license number (FL DL#) or Florida identification card number (FL ID#). If you do not have a FL DL# or FL ID#, then you must provide the last four digits of your Social Security number (SSN). If you do not have any of these numbers, check “None.” If you leave the field and box blank, your new registration may be denied.

If you are registering by mail, have never voted in Florida, and have never been issued one of the ID numbers above, include one of the following with your application, or at a later time before you vote:

  1. A copy of an ID that shows your name and photo (acceptable IDs--U.S. Passport, debit or credit card, military ID, student ID, retirement center ID, neighborhood association ID, or public assistance ID); or
  2. A copy of an ID that shows your name and current residence address (acceptable documents--utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document).

The special ID is not required if you are 65 or older, have a temporary or permanent physical disability, are a member of the active uniformed services or merchant marine who is absent from the county for active duty, or a spouse or dependent thereof, or are currently living outside the U.S. but otherwise eligible to vote in Florida.

You can then deliver the application by mail or in person to any supervisor of elections’ office, office that issues driver’s licenses, or voter registration agency (public assistance office, center for independent living, office serving persons with disabilities, public library, or armed forces recruitment office) or the Division of Elections.

If you are person with a disability who receives state-funded services, you can give your registration form to the agency at which you receive the services (exs. include waiver support coordinators, mental health and substance abuse providers).

What to Expect - After You Register

Whether you register by mail or in person, after you turn in a completed application, the Supervisor of Elections in your area will send you a voter information card. The card will say where to go in order to cast your vote (your neighborhood polling place).

If you do not receive your card within three (3) weeks of turning in your application, or if you have any questions regarding your registration, please call your county Supervisor of Elections.

Supervisor of Elections - By County

For Supervisor of Elections’ contact information and more, visit the Florida Division of Elections Find Your Supervisor of Elections Website.

Before You Vote

Deciding Who or What to Vote For:

Before you vote, you should learn about who is running for office. Find out how they feel about the different issues. Do they share your opinions or disagree with them? Do you think they will listen to you if they are elected?

Think about the things that are most important to you. What would you like to see changed? What rights do you want protected? Ask people you know, how they will vote and why. You do not need to vote the same way as your friends or family, but more information can be helpful in making your own decisions. 

Some of the issues people might base their votes on are:

  • Transportation
  • Services for people with disabilities
  • Jobs
  • Housing costs
  • Taxes
  • Education
  • Health Care

You can find out about the issues by reading the newspaper, researching facts on the Internet, watching the candidate debates on television, listening to the radio, and/or attending campaign events. If you go to campaign events, ask questions about the issues important to you.

You may see campaign ads on television or hear candidates on the radio. Ads are designed to try to convince you to vote for a particular candidate or issue. Sometimes ads may leave out important facts or distort the truth. For the most reliable information, news articles and non-partisan (not belonging to any political party) organizations may be the best choice.

What to Bring on Election Day:

When you vote, bring a valid picture identification with signature. The following photo identification is accepted:

  • Florida driver’s license
  • Florida identification card issued by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
  • United States passport
  • Debit or credit card
  • Military identification
  • Student identification
  • Retirement center identification
  • Neighborhood association identification
  • Public assistance identification

If your photo identification does not contain your signature, you will be asked to provide an additional identification that includes a signature.

If you do not have proper identification, your vote will be registered at the polls as provisional and will only be counted if the signature on the provisional ballot envelope is found to match the signature on your voter registration application. Another option for people who do not have proper identification to show at the polls is to vote by mail on an Absentee Ballot.