What Should Each Transition Plan Cover?

Photo of three individuals preparing foodPrevious Topic: Four Types of Transition Plans

Next Topic: Who Plans The Education Transition?

Each transition plan should cover the youth's goals and all the supports and services that the young person with a disability will need to prepare for the fullest possible life as an adult.

The plans should be designed individually and reflect each young person’s visions and values.

A transition plan looks ahead to the needs, changes and possibilities of adulthood. An IPE, or employment plan, focuses on preparing for work as an adult.

If the education system, vocational rehabilitation agencies and private and government social services can provide a service or support, and the person covered by the plan needs it, the plan should show the way to get it.

Some possible transition goals include:

Education Related

  • type of high school diploma to achieve
  • college (2 year or 4 year)
  • continuing and adult education
  • vocational or trade school

Work Related

  • career, trade or profession
  • integrated employment (alongside non-disabled colleagues)
  • vocational counseling
  • vocational rehabilitation
  • vocational training
  • self employment 
  • supported employment

Community Integration Related

  • adult services
  • assistive technology
  • community participation (experiences such as attending church, taking public transportation, using the library)
  • daily living skills
  • financial literacy
  • health care
  • housing
  • independent living

IEP and 504

An IEP or 504 Plan Should Spell Out:

  • all the student’s unique educational needs related to his or her disabilities
  • the supports and related services to be provided and when they are expected to start and end
  • which agencies or individuals will provide the services and who will pay for them
  • measurable goals for the student, with dates to begin working toward them and to reach them (assessments conducted by professionals can be a basis for the goals, and new assessments and data can measure the progress and inspire new goals)
  • program accommodations, modifications and supports that will be needed to help the student reach the goals in the least restrictive environment. “Least restrictive environment” means that, as much as possible, the student learns in the regular curriculum, learns alongside other students (those who have disabilities and those who do not) and participates in extracurricular activities with other students (those who have disabilities and those who do not)
  • technology devices or other assistance that might make it possible for the student to participate fully and equally in mainstream school life, and who, or what agency, will supply it