Monitoring and Investigation of Carlton Palms Educational Center: Results and Recommendations
Monday, March 05, 2018
Disability Rights Florida, the state’s federally-mandated Protection and Advocacy system benefitting Floridians with disabilities, has released its findings and related recommendations from a years-long monitoring and investigation of allegations of abuse, neglect and related concerns at Carlton Palms Educational Center (The Educational Center) in Mount Dora, Florida. Carlton Palms Educational Center, which opened in 1997, is a for-profit facility licensed by the Agency for Persons with Disabilities (APD) as the state’s only Comprehensive Transitional Educational Program under Chapter 393, Florida Statutes.
Last week, a 26-year-old resident died in the facility after suffering head trauma related to apparently self-injurious behavior. This death – the second at the facility in less than five years – is currently under investigation by the state. The facility has been endeavoring to transition its residents into smaller, community settings pursuant to the terms of a June 2016 Settlement Agreement with APD.
As part of a nationwide network of Protection and Advocacy systems, Disability Rights Florida maintains federal authority to pursue legal, administrative, and other appropriate remedies or approaches to ensure the protection of, and advocacy for, the rights of individuals with disabilities in the state who are, or may be, eligible for treatment, services, or habilitation. This authorization provides Disability Rights Florida with the authority to investigate known or suspected incidents of abuse and neglect.
For additional information, please contact:
Disability Rights Florida
2473 Care Drive, #200
Tallahassee, Florida 32308
(850) 488-9071 ext. 9737
tonyd at disabilityrightsflorida dot org
Tags for this Postabuse and neglect, agency for persons with disabilities, developmental disabilities, institutions, report, restraint and seclusion,
- Statement Regarding Transition of Carlton Palms Residents - 5 tag match(es) (83%)
- Disability Rights Florida Files Lawsuit Against Agency for Persons with Disabilities - 5 tag match(es) (83%)
- Lawsuit Seeks to End Unnecessary Seclusion and Restraint and Improve Inadequate Treatment - 3 tag match(es) (50%)
- Personal Care Assistant Services for Children with Developmental Disabilities Restored - 2 tag match(es) (33%)
- Disability Advocates Resolve Litigation with Florida Department of Corrections - 2 tag match(es) (33%)