Assistance & Vouchers

Previous Topic: Discrimination & Other Legal Problems

Next Topic: Owners & Renters

The cost of maintaining adequate housing is a worry for many Floridians, especially for Floridians who have disabilities.

These housing programs may be available to help pay for or subsidize your housing costs.

See also our Section 504 tab under Other Legal Protections to learn about how the law prohibits discrimination based solely on disability in Public Housing and Choice Voucher programs.

Public Housing

Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and people with disabilities at rents they can afford.

Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from scattered single family houses to highrise apartments for the elderly.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers Federal aid to local public housing agencies. HUD furnishes technical and professional assistance in planning, developing and managing these developments.

Public Housing Agencies (PHAs) provide the day to day management of public housing for low-income residents.

Who is eligible?

Public housing is limited to low-income families and individuals. A PHA determines eligibility based on:

  1. annual gross income,
  2. whether the individual qualifies as elderly, a person with a disability, or as a family and,
  3. U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status.

PHAs use the income limits developed by HUD and they are based on the incomes for the county or area. HUD sets the lower income limits at 80% and very low income limits at 50% but the actual income limits vary from area to area, so eligibility may vary between PHAs.

The PHA also checks references about whether the applicant has been a responsible tenant in the past. The PHA will deny admission to an applicant whose habits and practices are irresponsible and may therefore be expected to have a detrimental effect on other tenants or on the project's environment.

The PHA serving your community can provide you with the income levels for your area and family size, or you can also find the income limits here on the internet.

How do I apply?

If you are interested in applying for public housing, contact your local PHA. If you have trouble contacting the PHA, contact the local HUD Field Office.

For more information on public housing, please visit the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development website.