Discipline, Suspension & Expulsion
Introduction to the Law Governing the Discipline of Students with Disabilities
The Individuals with Disabilities Act of 2004 (IDEA) and the 2006 regulations that implement the IDEA govern the discipline of students with disabilities. Schools must follow these laws.
Schools may make unilateral changes in placement:
- For 10 school days or less for students who violate code of conduct.
- For 11 or more school days for violations of code of conduct IF NOT a manifestation of disability.
- For 45 days or less for weapons, drugs or infliction of serious bodily injury.
Services during change of placement:
- Setting determined by IEP team.
- Participation in general education curriculum.
- Progress to meet IEP goals.
- Behavioral services to prevent recurrence.