Discrimination & Other Legal Problems

Previous Topic: Other Legal Protections

Next Topic: Assistance & Vouchers

Once you have learned about your legal rights and responsibilities, your self-advocacy may be successful. However, if you need further advice or assistance, you may want to contact one or more of the following agencies to request help.

You can also request help from Disability Rights Florida by contacting us at 1-800-342-0823 or visiting the Contact section of our website and filling out a contact/intake form.

U.S. Housing and Urban Development

HUD's mission is to increase homeownership, support community development and increase access to affordable housing free from discrimination.

Federal law prohibits housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, or disability. If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a fair housing complaint with HUD.

How to File a Fair Housing Complaint with HUD

If you think your rights have been violated, the Housing Discrimination Complaint Form is available for you to download, complete and return, or complete online and submit, or you may write HUD a letter, or telephone the HUD Office nearest you. You have one year after an alleged violation to file a complaint with HUD, but you should file it as soon as possible.

What to Tell HUD

  • Your name and address,
  • The name and address of the person your complaint is against (the respondent),
  • The address or other identification of the housing involved,
  • A short description of the alleged violation (the event that caused you to believe your rights were violated), and
  • The date(s) of the alleged violation.

Where to Write or Call

Send the Housing Discrimination Complaint Form or a letter to

Atlanta Regional Office of FHEO
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

Five Points Plaza
40 Marietta Street, 16th Floor
Atlanta, Georgia 30303-2806
(404) 331-5140
(800) 440-8091
TTY (404) 730-2654

If You are an Individual with a Disability

HUD also provides:

  • A toll-free TTY phone for the hearing impaired: (800) 927-9275.
  • Interpreters,
  • Tapes and Braille materials, and
  • Assistance in reading and completing forms.

What Happens when You File a Complaint?

HUD will notify you when it receives your complaint. Normally, HUD also will:

  • Notify the alleged violator of your complaint and permit that person to submit an answer,
  • Investigate your complaint and determine whether there is reasonable cause to believe the Fair Housing Act has been violated,
  • Notify you if it cannot complete an investigation within 100 days of receiving your complaint.

For more information on HUD, please visit the HUD website.